1. angela
    angela at | | Reply

Oh, I can’t decide if this makes me sad or happy. It’s so unfortunate that we are so programmed to see the beauty in other people but not ourselves. At the same time, it’s great that the two of you shared that moment, that vulnerability, and are now more aware of the insecurities we all feel.

1. Morgan Dragonwillow
      Morgan Dragonwillow at | | Reply

Thank you Angela. It is okay to feel both and good to be aware that this happens.

Thanks for stopping by, hope you visit again soon.

Peace,
      Morgan

2. Cameron
    Cameron at | | Reply

Angela said it for me. I was sad reading it (and thinking I need to be better about washing my face at night), and then just happy that you had that moment together.

1. Morgan Dragonwillow
      Morgan Dragonwillow at | | Reply

Nice to know I am not the only one bad about washing my face at night. After all these years I still am not good about remembering.

Appreciate you stopping by and hope to see you again.

Peace,
      Morgan

3. Angie Kinghorn
    Angie Kinghorn at | | Reply

This is beautifully written. The internal dialogue spells out the confusion, insecurity, and envy perfectly. Then the transition to verbal dialogue and the realization of a common insecurity…wow.

It makes me sad, though. On several levels. One, that women are programmed not to accept compliments by saying, “Thank you,” but instead, by denying it and saying, “Oh, no, I look so awful.” Two, that most of us really are insecure enough that we do this because we need the reassurance that follows. And three, that we don’t talk about it more and realize that we all feel this way from time to time.

Thank you for sharing this!

1. Morgan Dragonwillow
      Morgan Dragonwillow at | | Reply

I feel blessed by your words. Thank you.

I greatly appreciate your visit, I hope you come again soon.

Peace,
      Morgan

4. Kimberly at Rubber Chicken Madness
    Kimberly at Rubber Chicken Madness at | | Reply

We’re so hard on ourselves. It’s always amazing to me that we don’t see the beauty in ourselves that others see. So sad 🙁

1. Morgan Dragonwillow
      Morgan Dragonwillow at | | Reply

Thank you for stopping by. Hope to see you again.

Peace,
      Morgan

5. Eden Mabee
    Eden Mabee at | | Reply

I love this. The others said why at least as well as I could at the moment, but I needed to post and add, Thank you, Morgan. This was good in the purest sense of the word, in heart, spirit…texture. This was incredible.

1. Morgan Dragonwillow
      Morgan Dragonwillow at | | Reply

Thanks Eden, I greatly appreciate it. That means a lot.

Peace,
      Morgan

6. Marie Noelle
    Marie Noelle at | | Reply

Well written! And so true! I’m sure something similar happened to all of us… this is a bit sad actually…

1. Morgan Dragonwillow
      Morgan Dragonwillow at | | Reply

I appreciate your words Marie. Thank you for stopping by.

Peace,
      Morgan

7. Mental Mosaic
    Mental Mosaic at | | Reply

I love, love, love this post, Morgan. So insightful!

You’ve zeroed in on women and beauty, which is a huge topic in and of itself…

In my case (which I am sure is not isolated) I had several boyfriends who kept my insecurities alive by telling me that I was fat, ugly and so forth – but they “loved” me anyway. (“You’re nothing to look at and your boobs are too small, but you’ve a great personality,” they’d say, for instance. Having been raised in America and teased in High School, I had no idea that any man could find something less than a D cup sexy!)

I look back at photos of myself at these allegedly fat and ugly times and laugh because I was thin and rather cute – if I do say so, myself. It makes me sad and angry that I was belittled into feeling otherwise. What I saw in the mirror was a reflection of their ideas, alas, not what was actually there.

I think that, in one relationship in particular, I was made to feel ugly as a way of keeping me under control. He did it out of his fear that I’d leave him if I knew I was cute, I guess.

Anyway…

I used to keep all my compliments to myself and assume that other people, both male and female, knew how beautiful/smart/kind/uplifting/wonderful/[insert positive trait here] they were.

Once I had my coffeehouse, I realized that people have no idea about these things! It’s one of the things I miss the most about living in Italy is that giving other people compliments is a huge part of their culture.

Well… I’ve rambled so long in my comment here, Morgan, that I think I may have to do a blog post on this topic, as well.

Thanks for the insight and inspiration – as always. Btw, have I told you lately that you are beautiful, insightful, fiery, energetic and just plain wonderful?

~Tui

1. Morgan Dragonwillow
      Morgan Dragonwillow at | | Reply

Loved your long sharing of words Tui! It reminds me of our early comments back and forth with each other and how I often left a lengthy reply. Sometimes we just have a lot to say. 😀

My heart goes out to that younger you that had men in her life tell her she wasn’t beautiful. You are beautiful, both inside and out, truly. I never thought I was beautiful but it wasn’t because of the men in my life. I felt like I was fat and not very smart. I look back at pictures during this time in my life and I am amazed. I was 5’8″ and only 135. That is not fat. The not very smart part was due to a man. I think he was threatened by a woman with a brain especially one that might be as smart or smarter than he was. We both took the GED together and I scored higher three out of five and even though his average was still higher it nearly killed him. He spent the next ten years finding little ways to undermine my intelligence. I finally wizened up and left.

I hope I you do write a post about all that you shared above because you have often inspired me to do the same.

I keep hearing little tidbits about this coffeehouse and I am dying to hear more.

Peace,